12 August 2011

mist on skin

I know I mysteriously disappeared off the face of the earth. I know I haven't made or sold any jewelry in a very long time. I haven't done much else of notable worth either. I should blame it on the many professional and personal trials that plagued me over the last months, but I think that would be cowardice. I simply didn't have anything exciting to say and ultimately, I just plain didn't keep up! But I wanted to provide a small glimpse, an explanation in my own metaphoric way as to what I've been through and where I am today.

.

So I finally finished the monumental professional challenge that was placed on my shoulders almost 17 months ago. It was stressful beyond comparison to anything I've ever done before...I hate to say it, but perhaps even more so than grad school! It challenged every aspect of my mental capacity, from dealing with clients, to dealing with staff, to dealing with my management. From improving my writing to improving my assertiveness. No molecule of energy could seem to be spared for my personal life, let alone the Lauren Tree.

.

I was horrified and humbled on a daily basis, at every twist and turn, every stub and stumble on this rugged mountain of a challenge. I had very few successes and even fewer smiles, but when they occurred, I relished in their fleeting warmth. I started to become stronger, more assertive, stood up for myself, handled people better, molding them with my kindness, sweet assertions, and innocent whip-yieldings. I started to fight, tooth and nail, scrambled towards the top of that mountain, kicking and screaming, pulling everyone with me like the bull that I am. When I finally peaked the mountain, I saw the sweet satisfaction of victory rolling through the undulating hillside like a tender mist. That view I helped create made me weep with exhaustion and joy, before starting back down again on wobbled knees, on stooped shoulders, and wiser eyes. And so I now stand on the other side of this mountain. Worn and beaten, but feeling the mist I created cool and light on my skin. Looking up to the glistening sunlight beyond.

.

So much went on in that journey—personal life and loss too, the tearing down and building up of spirit, faith, and strength. Now the many personal and professional challenges on that mountain have been conquered. And I'm on to a new little hill where my feet are falling onto a more familiar tread. It feels like the one I traversed so long ago, a sweet and easy climb. I'm working on jewelry again. I'm cooking amazing foods. I'm planning a series of landscaping projects. I'm starting to enjoy life again. And I can't stop smiling.

.

So I look forward to exploring my cobwebbed creativity and dust-lined ingenuity. All those projects that have silently awaited my attention. So thanks for being patient with me! I’m working on a new line of fabulous vintage chandelier earrings that are simply stunning! Stay tuned!

1 comment: