21 January 2012

the path less traveled

One of my best and dearest friends moved away to Alaska today. Well, she started a two-week long road trip to Washington state, and then she'll ride on a five-day ferry, and then she'll move to Alaska. I didn't cry as I watched her pack up all of her belongings into a small SUV, do an Austin Powers-like maneuver to get out of my driveway, and speed off in the brisk sunlit morning. I told her I'll see her next week - we'll do happy hour - and that was it. She was gone.

I've been thinking a lot about her decision to move. It was a hard one to make, but it was the right one because the path kept opening up before her.
Cobbles and downed logs were cleared. The path widened upon the turn and showed her home. Sometimes the right decisions are those that seem impossible, those that are life-changing, that are the hardest ones to make. But once you choose and get over that hill, once you get past that point in running that feels like you're going to die, you start to breathe easier, slow and steady. And it feels alive and wonderful.

My friend is doing something that most people wouldn't dare dream of, doing something that is scary and exciting and adventurous. She visited Anchorage last September, decided that was the life for her, and by October had the plans swinging in motion. While I don't think everyone can do this - just pick up and leave - I do find her sense of focus, determination, and flat-out will to be at peace, to be happy, absolutely thrilling. It's enlightening. Inspirational. She was not a fan of Austin anymore. She found a place of pure inspiration. She went after it. Ergo, she is happier.

Trying to lead a life like that takes
fearlessness that it will work out, faith that it will be okay, and, well, cojones that you can survive the negative degree weather! Even her voyage towards this new place is filled with illumination and possibilities, an exploration of both mind and nature. She said she was going to listen to meditation tapes during the entire two-week voyage so that she'll be a better person by the time she gets up there. I think she's already a pretty enlightened gal, but the fact that she's not just moving to one of the most serene and beautiful places on this earth, but she's bettering herself while on the path towards that incredible place has an unsurpassed admirable quality. I can't wait to see her settled in mind, body, and country when she has finally arrived, taken a deep breath, and poured into her Alaskan life. And yes, I will see here there someday soon. It'll be one of my golden checks off my life list. I'm just a little worried that I'll fall in love with Alaska too and have to pack up the old 4Runner!

I've known this girl for what, 6 years now? And it seems like it's been a lifetime. To old souls like us, I guess it should feel like we've always known each other. I wish her well in this new adventure and hope to keep some of her spirit along with me. Use it to help me soar above, weightless, with eyes focused on my prey, ready to strike and live full.

1 comment:

  1. My friend, you are the most gracious, beautiful, funny, and fearless woman I know. I love you and I miss you. Please come visit and please move here so I don't have to cry while reading your blog anymore. OK, the crying may be a bit red wine-induced :) but move here and bring the girls with you too.

    ReplyDelete